Check Your Insurance Benefits
- 1Insurance Provider Name
- 2Policy Member's Full Name
- 3Policy Membership/Subscriber ID
Please fill out the form below to verify your insurance coverage.
Cigna is a company that provides health insurance plans to Americans across the nation.1 Since the passage of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), all long-term insurance plans are required to cover 10 essential health benefits, which include substance use and mental health treatment.2 While Cigna insurance plans vary, they may be able to help you cover some or all of the costs of addiction detox and treatment.
Types of Cigna Insurance Plans
Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans, including Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) plans and Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) plans among others.3
Cigna PPO plans offer broad networks of doctors and facilities to choose from, and often the plans provide coverage outside the Cigna network, although you’ll pay more of the cost out of pocket.3 With a PPO, you don’t have to choose a primary care provider (PCP), and you can see specialists without needing a referral.3
Cigna HMO plans provide a network of doctors and facilities near where you live to help you get high-quality care.3 You have to choose a PCP that’s within the network to coordinate your care, and your PCP will need to give you a referral to see in-network specialists.3 The costs of an HMO are generally lower than a PPO, but you do not have coverage outside the provider network, so it’s important to choose Cigna providers.3
How to Use Cigna Insurance to Cover the Cost of Detox and Rehab
To use your Cigna insurance coverage to help pay for substance use treatment, you’ll start by talking to your primary doctor to create a treatment plan. If you have an HMO plan, your primary care physician will need to provide a referral for your rehab treatment, so it’s important to be honest about your substance use, mental health, home environment, and more so you get the care you need.
Once you have a treatment plan, you can find facilities that meet your needs and make sure they accept your Cigna coverage. For example, if you wanted to get detox and substance use treatment at AdCare Hospital in Massachusetts, you would contact them and give them your insurance details so they could verify that they accept your insurance plan.
Detox Treatment Covered by Cigna
The first step in breaking free of substance use, before you begin treatment, is to detox so the drugs are out of your system.
Some of the detox programs Cigna may cover include:4
- Medical Detox. When you detox from substance use under medical supervision to manage your symptoms and ensure your safety. Medical detox can be either inpatient or outpatient.
- Inpatient Detox. A detox program where you stay in a hospital or medical setting while you detox from substance use.
- Outpatient Detox. You detox at home but visit a medical facility daily to record your progress and receive support.
Does Cigna Insurance Cover Rehab?
The ACA requires all long-term insurance plans to cover at least some of the cost of rehab, so you can rely on Cigna health insurance plans to help you get the care you need.
Some of the common types of rehab include:5
- Inpatient treatment. Also known as residential rehab, this level of care involves one receiving treatment while living in a treatment facility full-time.
- Outpatient treatment. Rehab treatment that you attend a few hours a week, allowing you to continue to work or attend school during treatment.
- Partial hospitalization programs (PHP). Treatment that occurs in a medical facility for several hours a day, giving you a structured program without needing to live at the facility.
- Aftercare. Once you finish treatment, aftercare gives you ongoing support as you practice your new habits in daily life.
Does Cigna Insurance Cover Therapy & Mental Health?
Mental health care is among the 10 essential health benefits required by the ACA, so your Cigna plan will help you get the therapy and mental health treatment you need, too.2, fifth bullet
Common types of mental health treatment and therapy include:6
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), which helps you identify unhelpful ways of thinking and behaving and helps you overcome them.
- Dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT), which is a type of CBT that helps you identify negative thinking patterns so that you can make positive changes in your habits.
- Motivational interviewing, which helps you commit to making positive changes in your life.
- Contingency management, which provides positive reinforcement for making good decisions and breaking free from substance use.
Other Options to Pay for Addiction Treatment
As you look into substance use treatment, you might find that your Cigna insurance policy only covers part of the cost, and you have to pay the rest yourself. Don’t let that hold you back from getting the care you need.
There are many ways to pay for your portion of rehab costs. For example, you can work out a payment plan with the treatment center or borrow money from family and friends to get treatment. Some treatment centers offer scholarships as well.
You deserve freedom from substance use — don’t let the cost hold you back from a life you love.
Other Insurances That Cover Detox & Rehab
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Bright Health
- Kaiser Permanente
- Without Insurance