Check Your Insurance Benefits
- 1Insurance Provider Name
- 2Policy Member's Full Name
- 3Policy Membership/Subscriber ID
Please fill out the form below to verify your insurance coverage.
Since the Affordable Care Act went into effect in 2010, insurance plans must cover addiction treatment as an essential benefit.1 But each plan is different in how much they cover, which treatment programs they approve, and what copayments and deductibles apply. This page will help you learn more about:
- Kaiser Permanente insurance plans.
- How to use Kaiser insurance for drug and alcohol addiction.
- How to check Kaiser Permante coverage for mental health.
Kaiser Permanente Insurance Plans and Coverage Levels
Kaiser has different plans depending on the state you live in, and you may be able to get financial help with monthly premiums through the Health Insurance Marketplace.3 You can make choices once a year about the plan you want based on price, coverage, deductibles, and copayments. The insurance company lets you choose your doctor and change any time. It also offers care when you’re away from home.4 Some of the plans Kaiser may offer include:
Checking Your Kaiser Permanente Benefits
Deciding to get treatment takes a lot of courage. The good news is that most insurance plans cover both inpatient and outpatient treatment. The specific programs covered will depend on your insurance plan. You may have to pay copays or deductibles. To get the details, be sure to talk to your insurance company.
Does Kaiser Permanent Cover Addiction Treatment?
Under the Affordable Care Act (ACA), most insurance companies must cover substance use treatment in some way.1 Kaiser Permanente does cover many forms of addiction treatment. This may include:
But exactly what Kaiser covers will depend on your plan and the state you live in, as well as the length, intensity, and setting of treatment.
How to Check Your Kaiser Permanente Insurance Coverage
The best way to know what your plan does and doesn’t cover is to contact Kaiser. You can do this a few ways:
- Sign into your Kaiser Permanente account online and review your plan details.
- Call the number on the back of your insurance card and ask what your plan covers.
You can also call the treatment center you plan to attend and ask if they accept Kaiser Permanente insurance. Some
How to Use Kaiser Permanente for Detox or Rehab
A good first step is talking to your doctor. They can help assess your treatment needs and help you choose a treatment center. But before you enroll in a treatment program, make sure it’s approved and covered through Kaiser Permanente mental health coverage. Also, find out how much of the cost you will have to pay (called “out-of-pocket” costs). The program may have financing options if you need them.
Kaiser Permanente does not require a referral to access mental health services, which usually includes addiction treatment.2
How to Pay Kaiser Permanent Out-of-Pocket Costs
Even with insurance, some plans still have costs you will need to pay yourself. These are called out-of-pocket costs and can vary based on many factors. But don’t give up hope; many treatment programs have options to help you afford recovery help, such as:
- Payment plans: Treatment centers may offer payment plans to spread out the total cost of treatment over regular payment installments. Be sure to look at interest rates and other details of the plan.
- Sliding fee scale: Some programs offer a sliding fee scale, where the treatment costs will vary based on your income—if you make less money, you will have lower costs.
- Scholarships: Programs may offer scholarships where you may be able to enter treatment at a lower cost or even no cost at all.